Unabridged birth certificate required for children under 18 years of age

Please read this very important information regarding children travelling on an International cruise onboard the MSC Opera and MSC Sinfonia Cruise liners.

Under the new regulations received from the Department of Home Affairs parents travelling with children are required to produce an unabridged birth certificate for children under the age of 18 years. This is in addition to the child’s passport.

Q:  What documents do travellers need if they are…

  1. One parent travelling with a child?

An unabridged birth certificate and:

  1. Consent in the form of an affidavit from the other parent registered as a parent on the birth certificate of the child authorising him or her to enter into or depart from the Republic with the child he or she is travelling with.
  2. A court order granting full parental responsibilities and rights or legal guardianship in respect of the child, if he or she is the parent or legal guardian

of the child; or

  1. Where applicable, a death certificate of the other parent registered as a parent of the child on the birth certificate.
  2. An adult travelling with a child who is not his/her biological child?
  3. A copy of the unabridged birth certificate of the child;
  4. An affidavit from the parents or legal guardian of the child confirming that he or she has permission to travel with the child;
  5. Copies of the identity documents or passports of the parents or legal guardian of the child; and
  6. The contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child.


Q: What documents do parents need to apply?
A:  Mothers ID, Fathers ID and the child’s abridged birth certificate.  There will also be a relevant form to be filled in at Home Affairs offices.

Q: What is the cost of applying for an Unabridged Birth Certificate and approximately how long will this application take?
A: R75 – According the the Department of Home Affairs the application will take a minimum of at least 8 weeks.

Q: Can Clients travel with certified copies of unabridged certificates or do they need to carry the original?
A: A certified copy will suffice.


Example of Unabridged Birth Certificate:

A valid passport will be required by all passengers (infant, child or adult) for International cruises and Unabridged birth certificates for children under the age of 18 years old at time of cruise, departing from a South African port travelling to Mozambique, Magadascar, Reunion, Mauritius, Walvisbay.  


A normal I.D. book will be required for domestic cruises ( Cape Town – Durban, or Cape Town to Cape Town fun cruise, Cape Town to Mosselbay and return to Cape Town).

MSC Cruises looks forward to welcoming you on board and thanks you for your understanding.

Bookmark the permalink.